18 May, 2006

Communication Skill

Yesterday was the 9th toastmaster chapter meeting. There was a girl, plain looking and couldn’t speak proper English. But her speech was inspiring at least she touched my heart. The speech title was how to improve on our communication skill. She narrated a blind boy who was holding a piece of paper "I'm Blind. Please help." and all the busy city dwellers just come and go without even bother to take a glance at the poor boy.

Then came across a gentleman, he walks up to him and turn that piece of paper and wrote a few words and walk off. Soon people starts to donate money to this poor boy. The boy could recognize the footstep of the gentleman the next day. He asked the man, "what did you write on my paper yesterday?" The man said, I just wrote "Today is a beautiful day but i cannot see."

If you were to donate, will u donate the 1st or 2nd wordings? I will choose the 2nd one too.

Many people think that communication is only how well you speak with your clients, your colleagues, your family and your friends. Actually its a Yes and No.

Communication skill is not totally skill on how well you speak. Its also ties in closely with the way you can write and how well you could deliver your message to the receiving party. It need not be a form of speaking, it could be written as well. Communication skill has a wide context.

Most of the time, I have to design artworks that my clients want if not there will be no more jobs for the next time. I can't design something that i like and forgetting about what the clients needs. I have to be sensitive to my surrounds. Creativity may be killed in the process. But its something, we have to compromise at certain times.

No doubt, this girl doesn’t portray a good image when she talks but Rome was not build within a day. I’m sure she can be the one she wants to be one day. Because, she would have mastered the skill of communication. :)

No comments: