02 April, 2012

Copyright is a BIG word

Copyright is a BIG word. In the dictionary, it says the exclusive right to make copies, license, and otherwise exploit a literary, musical, or artistic work, whether printed, audio, video, etc.: works granted such right by law on or after January 1, 1978, are protected for the lifetime of the author or creator and for a period of 50 years after his or her death.

I never take copyright as something important until yesterday an online friend took my work, modify it and upload it back online. I just happened to see it, find it familiar, asked him and he said, "Haha.. Nice piece of design by you! Thanks la.. ;p" I didn't sound rude, I just replied him,"Haha if more people benefit from this quote, why not share? Would appreciate more, if u let me know you are using it :)"

Yes, it may sound like it is no big deal after all with Photoshop, anyone can create these wordings easily. My concern is since it is so easy to copy, modify from someone's work. How do I protect my creative works now and in future? How can I take my ownership and claimed that this original work is done by me?

A thought that needs to be think about seriously.

No comments: