20 July, 2008

Educate the wrong message?


一字之差,差之毫厘,谬以千里。卓越的传达设计,巧用文字艺术与文化语境,以画龙点睛。
The wrong use of words can be inconsequential or lead to an outrageous misinterpretation of the intended message. Exceptional communication design leverages on clear use of language within a cultural context to point the eyes of the dragon.

I saw this banner outside RED Dot museum. I was a little impressed by the chinese wordings but when i read the translated english language. I nearly fell of my chair...

Whoever did this, just merely translated directly without understanding the true meaning of "画龙点睛". "画龙点睛" means to add the finishing touch to the work. It is not what they have translated as pointing the eyes of the dragon.

I'm sure Design Agency's real intention is trying to educate the public about the wrong use of words can lead to misleading communication and but yet they don't even bother to translate the this whole message properly... isn't this ironic?

No comments: