16 February, 2009

3 Working Classes

Imagine 3 people are studying biochemistry, one in ITE, one in Poly and the 3rd in University. Upon completing their course, first one gets a Certicate, second gets person gets a diploma and third person gets a degree.

They found a job and happens to work together in a same lab.

The cert holder get the correct test tubes for the experiment, wash them clean dry them and put them on the study table - he earn abt 1000 - 1,200 a month

The diploma holder come in get all the correct chemicals and add them together in the respective test tubes - he earn abt 1800 - 2000 a month

He walks in look at the colour changes of the chemicals due to the reaction, tell the other two to wash the test tubes properly and walk out to write his analysis - he earn abt 2500 to 3500 a month

The worst part is, the cert holder salary and the dip holder salary will not be increasing much but the degree holder might be earning thousands more as his ability to look at the colours and write better anlysis improves and one fine day, he might just become a scientist who earns millions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remembered a lawyer friend tells me this story 1 year ago when I asked him if I should get my degree. I look at this story as just the interpretion of life at the various levels... Afterall, I always think most degree holders are nothing but a group of theorists that never apply their knowledge into working life.

He asked me to think through what I really want in life. After I thought through, it is not really applicable to creative industry, as they are looking at your strong porfolios and presentations.

The main motivation or reason that makes me apply for it because I want to gain more design knowledge. Ever since I took up my degree, it really does make an impact on me, on how I look at things right now. I tend to open to more ideas and perspectives, in a way not so narrow-minded like I used to be.

I took up a challenge of coming out with 30 creative ideas when we only need to come out with 1 best idea. With this project, I discovered that Ideas are endless if I allow them to come into my mind. I still continue to believe that education is just a stepping stone and applied knowledge is still the best practise to soar.

You gotta make a conscious decision where you wanna be in a few years time and the time to start thinking about it is NOW. Because by the time the better late than never comes, sometimes you will wish that since it happened so late that it is of not much use anymore... Maybe you would have missed to golden opportunity already and will start regretting it... Why haven't I done this?

No comments: