19 February, 2009

Inspirability

I just completed a great book, Inspirability. After reading it for 3 months. It is easy to read and why did I take such a long time to finish this book is because I do not want to rush through the process. I wanted to enjoy and understand what it takes for these influential designers to be successful.

Seriously, I never thought being a designer could achieve so much and have such a great influence on people. It is indeed an eye-opener for me. Just imagine how many little things we can do in our lives to 1) Maximize our creativity 2)To be good people.

These 40 top designers who talks about where did they get their inspirations. The idea of inspiring people really seemed to sum up what designers do. Inspiration is defined as any stimulus to thoughts or action, and put simply that’s what we do. We are in business of creating artwork that influences people’s thinking and behavior.

I think most of the designers never really think too much about ability to inspire others. Inspiration is a huge part of our lives but most designers are really only concerned with getting inspired.

One of the common grounds is that these designers simply love what they are doing. They will pay more attention to the things that just truly make them happy, the more success that they will have. They are curious people that constantly seeking for new ideas, new ways of doing things. Of course not all the time, they will get good results. What really, really inspired me most was they never give up on what they do.

Designers always like to put faces on things and we try to build meaning behind it. There are a lot of designers who create something that they love and they find a reason to sell to the client and that doesn’t really make sense to me. I found that recently – It is more than all that other stuff, more than the pretty office, more than making stuff that gets awards –

“I want meaning, I want meaning behind things. Because everything we do is going to be hard. If it is easy, we get bored.”
- Terry Marks


It is always been inspiring to see someone undertake an incredible challenge. I like it when people do something they feel they have to. Because it is right or because it is good or because it is rooted in and there is something more.

One of the good advises to get inspiration from Matt Pashkow is that there is a voice inside there somewhere, your genius. You have to have faith that it is going to speak up and when it does, you have got to listen.

No comments: