29 October, 2014

Observing Mind

I realise how mind can trick myself for believing into something I make up on my own due to my past experiences. For example, I received a sms from Alvin, who used to be bad tempered. He has changed but somehow his sms was "Please check your email." Immediately, my reflex starts to gear up and become very alert. Started to think what "bad" thing is going to happen. Silly me, starts to amplify the scenario that I did something very wrong and required a huge amount of effort. When I reached home, I immediately check the email. The change is very small and it is just a 5 min effort.

My mind just trick me into believing that something bad is about to happen, which is totally untrue. It could be due to past bad experience to trigger the "emergency" alert. It can be dangerous as my mind can be in deluded mode, unable to see things clearly as they are. That is why it is important to keep my mind in a grounded and calm state of mind.

Another story which I want to share is my friend's mother in law who is at her last stage of cancer. Doctor said that she only had 3 months to live. She started to have craving for food, although she can't eat at all. Shifu says that if her wish, just try to fulfill her as much as possible. Let her mind be at the state of calmness.

I start to think if one's desire and craving are so strong, one can likely fall into attachments and not be able to leave peacefully. It can affect our quality of rebirth. It is so important to train and keep our mind positive. It never comes to me that departing this world can be so challenging. However, all the more we should do our best to be reborn at Amitaba Buddha's Pureland to learn from him and progress from there.

Meanwhile, just do our best to keep our mind pure, calm and peaceful to our best ability.

No comments: