30 November, 2008

The expression of the urban

I'm researching on Art Therapy recently. I was inspired by the bilingual local newspaper, "My Paper". It has a section called "the person in the rain". The art therapist just used the drawing to analyse and identify the strength and weaknesses and any issues. She will provide some suggestions on how to cope with difficult emotions and feelings.

I believed that arts have the power to influence. Arts therapy has the ability to help to change and improve lives. We need not use verbal to communicate, we can use visual in art media such as drawings, photography and other forms of visual to express our inner struggles.

Art therapy is still a very new concept in Singapore. However, the local hospital such as Singapore General Hospital is using art therapy to help the cancer patients as well as disabled patients. I believe that it could really help people to open up themselves to be a mentally healthy and improve the quality of their life.

In order to feel what art therapy is all about, I decided to work on some paints. I have used lines as to depict sketches drawings and tried to use paints and shimmering to form the eye of the human, with the help of design software to do some graphics editing. These are various forms of expression on the relationship between the city, myself with arts. I called this piece of artwork - the expression of the urban.

Maybe in future, when i feel stress up, I will do some free expression painting lol Don't know is it because i did the research on this project. I do feel a sense of relaxation and freedom when I paints. Does it got to do with myself or the psychology part?

No comments: