02 February, 2008

To St. Nicholas, with love

Centuries ago, Father Nicholas Barre
He was deeply in prayer, when he heard a voice say:
"Take a walk in the streets and see the girls out there,
Everyday for them is like a living nightmare!"

Now these girls had no rights, no chance to education
Girls of that time, salves of discrimination.
What entered his eyes went straight to his heart
From then he decided that a school he would start,

And to this school flocked the poor and deprived
Where they finally found hope, a whole new meaning in life.
He provided for them food, shelter and care.
Soon they all learnt, it was a virtue to share.

Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus it would be named,
In aid of needy young women for which the school was famed.
Branching far and wide, a mission burning inside,
The sisters of the Convent set out to serve and guide.

Now since that time, it's been a full sixty years
Through the ups and downs, all the laughter and tears
We created a home, filling it with love
But we couldn't have made it without help from above.

So smack in the middle of Avenue 2
Is St. Nicholas Girls’ a huge garden school.
The palm trees sway to the whistling of the wind
"St. Nicholas Greets You", echoes from within.

There are mirrors on the wall to keep us tidy and neat.
As well as clocks in every corner, keeping us on our feet.
Different species of plants sprout out from everywhere
To keep a long story short, our school is far from bare.

There’re roosters, squirrels, fish and turtles too
Even crocodiles, it’s like a mini zoo!
Here we learn to love, the creatures of nature
For without humanity, what good is the future?

Uniform groups, the core ECAs,
Sports and societies, more than just work and play
Invaluable experience, acquiring a skill
Ambitious and dreams that we strive to fulfil.

Putting ECAs and our studies aside,
Other activities too that we take in our stride
Mondays, our enrichment course
All these for the good of the Sec Ones to Fours

Social graces, how to look good and feel good
"Sit like a lady! Don’t gobble your food!"
In addition, improve prounciation
Write a resume, conduct a conversation.

Arranging flowers, in a bouquet or two
Carving vegetable, just to name a few.
Learning how to swim, not just to win the race
Appreciating arts, just to cultivate to our taste

Events in school, we’ve got quite a few
Like the “Clean and Green” and Sports day too
Not forgetting Family Day to keep the spirit strong
This is our second home where we really belong.

The people, they really warm our hearts
We’re like a body, we play our own parts.
校长,老师和同学们, 大家在一起,
真是快乐无比!

Mrs Huang, she is our source of inspiration
She runs this school with utmost dedication
Administrative staffs slog all day too
Just to provide a better life, for the sake of you and me

With 饮水思源 embedded in our hearts,
The Alumni set up to play a part
They work hand in hand with the school
To improve our second home.

There is a list of qualities an SN girl should possess
She is committed to her work, strives to be her best
She adapts to circumstances, She’s quick and versatile
Those who sow will reap their efforts, for all she knows it’s worth her while.

A positive view towards life and living
She’s sensitive, considerate, kind and forgiving
To be elegant, efficient, cultured and refined
To society, she’s a gift sublime.

Look at us now, how far we have come.
All united as one.
Breaking all barriers and building up bonds
Striving to keep the SN spirit strong!

Dedicated to each and every SNG student!
Written by 10 SNG students in year 1993, 14 August for 60 Years Anniversary.




After Thoughts:
When I read this dedication, there were so much mixed feelings gushing out of my heart. All my memories of SNG, just keep flashing non-stop over my head.

During that time, I didn't appreciate what the school has done for me, but now I do... I took for granted that it was natural for me to have such a wonderful study environment. I had so much fun with my friends. Playing has become the top most priority during that time. Until I didn't make it for my PSLE and I was asked to leave this beautiful place.

After knowing the ugly side of the real government school environment, I have learnt to appreciate SNG so much more. Those tiny little memories of close friends as well as my long lost friends came back to me once again. I felt like they were just yesterday.

Sometimes I would wonder what will my life be if only I buck up at the eleventh hour during my PSLE? Perhaps I would have changed my entire destiny? Most likely I will be the goody gal that SNG has taught me. Probably I would be an accountant because most of the girls in my family are working as accounting related jobs (as what Siew has reminded me, which i cannot even remember saying that to her) and of course having a family of my own by now, living a simple life.

When i think back what is so good about being a goody gal? Living under other people expectations, just like a puppet. If this is not what I want, then I wouldn't have experienced so much more. Because there is pain, i appreciate the good things in life more. I'm glad that I choose this path because I really love what i'm doing now and continue to shape my own life path.

Well, every coin has two sides, we choose our path and we shall face the consequence.

No comments: