22 December, 2008

Be like water

"Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be like water my friend." - Bruce Lee

This is useful not just in combat, but in life. If those who represent themselves as your enemy become your teachers -- teachers on how to be patient, on how to deflect, how to confront in a way that peaceably resolves the conflict -- then you learn the skill of being like water.

I used to blame myself and other people, why my life so unsmooth? Why all the bad things come to me. A friend told me we need to learn lessons in this life and that's why we are here.

Another friend gives me an insightful experience about his life. He told me we have to keep learning something until we have learnt. This statement has an impact on me and I totally agreed with what he said. I have never realised it until he said that to me.

I look at myself and the people around me. We all make the same mistakes over and over again until it comes to a time that we learnt our precious lessons these negative cycle will never appear again... Sometimes when I look back, it is us who always trap ourselves into these cycles and we choose to do that. Without learning the painful lessons, we can never able to appreciate the people and the things around us.

He told me not too think too much but I think I have learnt something from this statement. If we chose to be an unhappy person, we will always be an unhappy person. Even someone tries to be nice to you, you will choose to believe he has a bad intention. However, if we always chose to be a happy person, even when things are bad, we will use a positive attitude to turn the situation around.

Well, interesting insight to me at least. Life is not so bad afterall, if we choose to become water! Rite? :)

No comments: