21 December, 2008

My little friends

I remembered my childhood dream was to become a teacher. I was inspired by my caring teachers in my primary school days. Most of them were caring, helpful and patient and best of all, I will be able to use the red pen to mark the students' work. Ah-ha :)

When I grew up, I know that I can't be a teacher because I have no patience with kids and I know that I will end up either being bullied by them or stressed up myself. I decided to give up this idea of being a teacher.

I was looking for a part-time job as I needed money for my melbourne trip. A golden opportunity came, knocking onto my door 5 weeks ago. CDAC is an learning environment and offer meaningful programmes to help students cope with their studies and social lives.

CDAC was looking for some part-time teachers, I went for interview and I got in. They just need teachers to teach maths and science for Pri 1-6, preparing them for the next year. Being pretty good in maths, I was assigned to teach maths for Pri2, Pri4 and Pri5 except there is one week, i have to teach science.

Having no experienced in teaching, I was so worried that I can't cope with it. However, I did spend time going through all the maths and science syllabus before the class. Of course goes without saying, for the first week, I wasn't that confident in teaching and I have to use the "math language" terms used by the schools, so that the kids are able to understand. After 2 weeks, I was able to teach the kids proficiently.

I almost wanted to give up when some kids were like monsters. However, some kids were like angels, that encouraged me to become a better teacher. Some were smart and fast, some were lazy and slow. No matter what, I have to gain their respect even if they were kids. When they realise you truly cares for them, even little monsters will be tamed by you slowly.

Although I was pretty under paid but overall, it was a very meaningful and fulfilling experience. With 88 students under my care, I did really enjoy myself with these 5 weeks of teaching.

First of all, I have learnt that these kids are pure at heart without any ill-intentions, they are just being playful or mischievious. Secondly, every kids are special in their own way, to be a capable teacher, I have to customise my teaching style so that they are able to absorb the knowledge better. Most importantly, I have learnt to be firm with my words and not to be influence by others.
Yes, I have fulfilled my dream of becoming a teacher and I have made quite a number of little friends. They did teach me something back in return when I have imparted my knowledge with them and I will cherish these memories.

Thank you, my little friends :)

No comments: