27 August, 2008

Small Setback

Today is the humorous speech & evaluation contest. It's my first time taking part. My speech was "Walking down the memory lane". Before the contest, I have been practising and thinking ways of tickling the audience's funny bone.

First thing in my mind was blank then next I was panic when i saw so many pairs of eyes staring at me. I knew I was going to screw up and yes I made my first glory from the bottom!

After i had reviewed my own speech delivery, mistakes I have made and I concluded that the biggest problem I really need to resolve, is to unlock myself. I have locked myself up too much until I can't even enjoy talking. When audience can't feel your emotions, they can't appreciate what you want to say and how would they able to laugh....

I enjoyed the evaluation part. The speaker speech title is "Fake Masters" about how toastmasters are teaching us how to be a fake person. After I evaluate the speaker with my sincerity, and just before the ending of the conclusion, I share with him that fake and sincerity is just one fine thin line. I guess my sincere evaluation has made the speaker come up to me that he has enjoyed my evaluation as well.

It's okay, it's just a small setback. For at least it's an interesting experience and I have the courage to try, isn't it?

No comments: