08 August, 2021

Day 253: GAB 1 Branching Points Self Reflection

Recall a memory of a past
I recall that as a young child, I always hope to seek approval from my parents. Hoping that they would love me the way I want it. I tried to do well in my studies from P1 - P4. My results dropped because I felt that they didn't really care if I do well or not. I started to mingle with friends, who like to have fun more than study. Of course, my good results also gone with the wind.

As I didn't do well in my PSLE, I couldn't continue in my Girls' school. I had to study in neighbourhood school, Braddell heights secondary school. It was the first time, I felt shame. I blamed myself for not putting enough efforts in my studies. There was nothing much I can do with my results. I accepted my fate. Because I felt so shameful, that I become a lot quieter in my secondary school days. There was not much joy in study. I could no longer feel joy in learning.

I saw the other side of the world, the school boys were notorious and they have gang fights at any other days. The teachers felt disappointed with the students. Most of the teachers basically give up on us. The school culture was so bad that they had to put bars around the school compound, to prevent the students from escaping classes.

Until one day, I met my A-Maths Teacher, Mr Lim. He was very patient with the students who were weak in Maths. As my maths were weak, he asked me if I was interested to join his A Maths remedial class. As I wanted to do well for my Maths, I say YES. I attended his remedial class every week, without fail. He explained to us the techniques and formula of A-Maths. On top of that, during my own time, I practise the maths questions on my own. I started to enjoy the process of solving the Maths questions. I felt empowered and good when I get my answers correctly. During my 'O' Levels, I not only do well in my A-Maths, my E-Maths also turns out to be great.

Till now, I always feel very grateful towards Mr Lim because he cares and he shone light into my life that I thought I can't and yet because of him, I finally see that it is possible to achieve what I want through perserverance, determination and grit.

Good teachers teach, great teachers inspire.

No comments: