05 April, 2014

Dining in the Dark

Katie and I together with 18 new friends attended Dining in the Dark at SAVH. Really an interesting experience of having a meal in the dark. Thanks Maggie for organizing the Dining in the Dark the second time.

I felt humbled to be served by a blind, Ziruth. He lost his retina when he was at the young age. He shared with us what are the do and don't to help the blind. Tina who is a event guide, was sharing that some of the people who wanted to help the blind but they didn't know how. Ended up, brings more confusion to the blind. Hence, we need to give clear instructions to the blind so that they know what to look out for.

In the dark, he is no different from any people. In fact, we are amazed on how he uses his skillful means to serve 20 of us. Some of us felt panic and even stressed when we can't see anything. To make the dining more fun, many of the guys crack jokes to break the awkward silence. We had lots of laughter that even the cook in the kitchen can hear our laughters. They are happy that we enjoyed the meal very much.

After the meal, I felt the handicap are much tougher that I thought them to be and of course, I appreciate my eyes better. It gives me a better understanding about myself, I don't afraid to be in the dark, in fact, I feel calm and peaceful. Perhaps I know that I will be in a total darkness situation before entering the room. Hence, I can manage my emotions better. My other senses become sharper when my sight is not in use and I know how to help the blind better in future.

No comments: