21 November, 2014

I am good enough

Recently, I met one of my clients to discuss about his packaging. I have come out with 2 options, he didn't like it and ask me to come out with a few more "creative" options. He gave me the art directions. I did accordingly to his direction even don't I think his ideas don't work. True enough, he didn't like his own idea and stick back to my original art work.

When I ask him a deeper question,"Why do you keep changing your mind?" He mentioned that during his course of study at NAFA, his teacher constantly tell him that his artwork is not good enough. He adopt this mindset of his work is not good enough. Years after years, after 20+ years later, even though he is 40+ years old now. He has brought over his past negative experience till now. Whenever a designer does his work, he will think it is not good enough. He didn't dare to pursue his dream of being a videographer. He didn't realise how big impact his teacher has given to him.

How I helped him is to have this awareness that whatever his teacher has mentioned, is already over. Let it go... He is good enough and people around him is good enough. I also just realised that how strong and how deep the impact was given from the teacher. Whatever the teacher has said to his students, be it good or bad, it will impact his students. Choose our words wisely.

No comments: