01 March, 2008

29 Feb 2008

29 Feb 2008 is the eventful day for me because I finally took up the challenge that my immediate past club president set for me. I took part in Toastmasters Club Speech Contest. It is my first attempt to speak up in a lecturer theater, using without notes. I can tell you it is not an easy task for me but I did it!



After 3 years in Toastmasters, I still couldn't get over my shyness and nervousous in public speaking. But this time round is slightly different, I tell myself, "Okay since I have this problem, I shall tackle with it and not to run away from it anymore." I realised that facing the problem is always better than running away from it. Because I don't need to live with it in fear anymore!

And true enough, after 2 weeks of serious preparation and good advises from my immediate past club president, I know where is my strength and weaknesses in public speaking. There is a chinese saying, a great performance on stage requires 10 years of training. I agreed totally with this because without training hard enough to myself to speak to my mirror, to my wall, to my cupboard, to Guan Yin Buddha and finally my parents. I couldn't be able to stand on my feet to speak up during the contest.

But nothing beats facing the real audience. The feeling is sensation. I feel excited, happy and nervous at the same time. When i speak up, they response, they show that they keen to know more and listening to my speech carefully. It's not a smooth delivery for the first attempt afterall. But I did finished my whole speech without feeling fearful.

A stranger walked to me and said, "That is a brave thing to do. Well Done." I guess she must have felt how i feel for this contest. Wishes comes from my new friends, my dear friends and family are unexpected and I am very grateful for that.

Yes, I finally did something for myself which I feel proud of!

No comments: