02 March, 2008

The demon within

"This is the speech that I delivered during the club contest."

In a faraway land, not too distant from today, there lived a smart king, King Benignant. He rules his country with wisdom and patience. All beings are living happily as the country prospers under the leadership of King Benignant.

All, except one. The demon, named Choler, the most horrendous creature. Choler is massive in size and stand at a height of 10 feet tall. His skin is dull red in color and it gives out a strange odor. It stinks so much that you can hardly breathe normally when he is around. No one knows where he came from but every being sends shivers down their spine when they see him.

One day, Choler knew King Benignant was not around, stomped right into the palace, causing great destruction. Choler turned over every tables and chairs that were within his sight while he made his way towards the throne at royal audience hall. The guards were so afraid of him that none of them dares to stop him. However, the guards know very well that if they could not stop Choler in time, he will destroy the entire palace. Using their shields and spears, they form a wall of defenses to fight against Choler.

"Stop it, you evil demon! Stop it now!!" shouted the angry guards. But Choler was too strong for them. Each time the guards cursed Choler, he just grows bigger and stronger. Choler finally sat on the throne of King Benignant.

Filled with disgust and anger, the guards shouted at Choler, "You demon, get out off here or else we will rip you apart".

"Ha ha ha, show me what you are capable of," Choler was gloating happily, "You will never be able to come near me. Ha ha ha"

"Charged!" shouted the guards. They attacked Choler with all their strength and might but Choler keeps growing bigger and stronger.

After much confrontation, King Benignant returned to the palace. Seeing the injured guards, King Benignant’s heart was filled with sorrow. He approached Choler and said "If your desire is to rule this country, please leave these men alone, they are all innocent beings."

Choler was taken aback by the King’s words. "Aren't you angry?"

King Benignant said, "No, I am the least angry with you."

Choler questioned the King again, "Why do you treat me with respect?"

"Because you deserve to be respected," said King Benignant. "Please stop this fight and I shall prepare a feast for you."

With the kindness words from King Benignant, Choler body seems to be weakening.

"Let me send my servants to prepare some food and will be ready in a short while." Said King Benignant and Choler had shrunk further. The wounds on Choler are recovering and the odor that surrounds him seems to have dispersed along with the recovering wounds.

Seeing King Benignant treated Choler with respects and kindness, the guards felt guilty. They apologised for their action and start to massage his body and foot.

With every kind words and gestures, Choler had shrunk further and further. The odor that emits from his skin dispersed and eventually, Choler disappears from the palace.

You may find this story amazing but this story is happening everyday within each and every one of us. Choler is the anger demon that is within us. Each time, we get angry, Choler grows stronger and stronger, and it also becomes more and more destructive.

When we are being “attacked”, we behave just like Choler. We speak loudly, nastier and sarcastic. The negative thoughts, remarks and actions will never have any help to our current problems. Instead it will become more serious and worse, when we are being cornered, when we have only destroyed everything and everyone around us.

Being angry is addictive and provides pleasure when we destroy our enemies, but who will face the consequences? It is only you and I shall face the fruit of our anger. Only when we show others with due respect and kindness, we will be able to have control with our anger.

I faced problems when getting along with people. I become hot tempered when things went wrong and never willing to accept others’ criticism. But I realized that flaring up into rage will not get what I want and instead, I’m hurting people around me as well as myself. People find that I’m unapproachable and difficult to deal with.

When I have learnt to accept the way it is; the problem has become smaller and manageable. Before I know it, I have found the way to solve it.

As I strive to shrink my "Choler" and find my "Benignant", I urge that each and every one of you will also be able to control your "Choler" and let your "Benignant" take control.

Contest chair.

No comments: