12 March, 2008

Connections

I never believe in the connections, today I just can't help but feeling that Singapore is so small!

KC: I have a job for you, my friend need the website to be completed within 2 weeks.
Qiqi: Sure, please send over the specs to me.

Flipping through my schedule, I realised that I unable to do this job as it clashes with my freelance job, my workshops and my short Genting holidays. No choice, I had to turn down. Even though, I can't do this job, I rather pass this job to my other friends who might be interested. I thought of my junior, RH. He's just setup his own design agency. So I call him and he's willing to work on it. I sent the specs over to him.

After 10 mins later, he called me back.

RH: Hey, I got the job.
Qiqi (Still in the state of blurriness): What job are you talking about?
RH: Your freelance job that you sent over is my client. He just told me that he engaged me.
Qiqi: OMG, I cannot believe it! The world is so small...
RH: Yah...
Qiqi: Congrats manz... Happy for you! This job is definitely meant to be yours.

I can't help but feeling freelancing industry is so small. Everyone seems to know one another and helping each other in getting jobs. Friends introducing business to one another and be connected. Before you know it, you could have knowing everyone... in such an big industry...

Those popular designer names probably once you mention it, the whole industry would have know. So if you had a good reputation, most likely people will seek you for help if they have any job opportunities...

Design industry works slightly different from any other corporate industry. You have to get your own connections, resources and people. People just job hopping around almost for every 2 years or some even half a year and your pay check just jump a few times more... That's how design industry works.

Talented designers tend to have weird temper of their own. Can I say designers have artistic temper? I have that temper too if my client really pissed me off. Most of the time, talented designers sack their lousy bosses. Because these bosses never think of keeping these people and never bothers to take good care of them. Thus their company reputation is at stake. Clients can always find other better agencies / freelancers and will never come back again. These lousy bosses are always at the losing end while the pay checks of these talented designers are clicking away...

No comments: