19 June, 2008

Logo Design Experiment

Whenever I come to see an interesting logo, sometimes it makes me wonder, "Why didn’t I think of that?" It makes me think deeper on how create an effective logo that creates impression.

I did a research on logo design. It says "There are four critical elements that can be seen in every great logo design:

1) It must be describable
2) It must be memorable
3) It must be effective without colour
4) It must be scalable i.e. effective when just an inch in size
Points 1 and 2 go hand in hand, because if you can’t describe what a logo looks like then how will you be able to remember it?

Point 3 is important because colour is secondary to the shape. Adding colour to your logo should be left to the very end of the process, because if the mark doesn’t work in black only, no amount of colour will rescue the design.

Point 4 is vital for things such as office stationery (pens, pin badges etc.). All those little things that people often forget about."

A good opportunity comes along, my friend wants to create an anniversary logo to be printed on the couple t-shirt. You know, girl normally tends to be more "hardworking" in doing little things for their partners. I thought it was a good idea to explore and apply the 4 techniques I have just learnt.

It's very difficult to design something out of nothing. I asked her what kind of logo design she has in mind. At first, she says nothing yet. With some knowledge of logo design, I propose to her simple and classy theme. After awhile, she gave me some ideas on what kinds of logo designs, she would prefer.

Pretty soon, I have inspirations about the kind of design she wants and start to draw some sketches...

Here are my ideas.
Photobucket

The couple initials are W and M. I was thinking of using them as the logo design.
I proposed 3 designs logo 1 to 3. She likes the elegant look but she felt these hearts were too open. I personally felt that Logo 2 is quite classy so I asked her why she didn't like logo 2. She says it's too domineering, she doesn't like him to be overpowered her (another independent woman haha).

Okay, it's alright. Since the logo is too open, I start to think how about interlocking hearts? I proposed the next 3 logos. Logo 4 and logo 6 are interlocking each other. Logo 4 design looks more dynamic. Logo 5 design is W is to embrace M. Logo 6 design top view of interlocking hearts.

Most of the people don't really know what they want, until you give them a few options. She likes logo 4 and 6. Finally, she chooses Logo 4 because that's the first logo that catches her eye.

I go back to my checklist about the effective logo
It must be describable -
Interlocking hearts

It must be memorable -
Intials of W & M. M could be seen as shadow, if use gray tone color. It looks dynamic enough to capture the attention

It must be effective without colour -
Have tried it with black & white

It must be scalable -
The curves are thick enough

Okay I'm done! I can't wait for my logo to be printed on T-shirt hehe. What are your views?

No comments: