10 June, 2008

New perspective

I read an interesting perspective today.

"Sometimes great knowledge lies in the discovery of something we did not anticipate, something that enlightens us to a new perspective. Then we are changed and enriched. Real discovery is a stairway that requires our participation and begs us to climb and climb some more..."

This reminds me of learning how to swim. Ever since I had phobia in water, I only dare to swim at the sides of the swimming pool, where I can grab the edge once I feel out of breathe. I have been doing that for years. I never believe that I'm able to overcome my water phobia until one day a friend told me that I could overcome it when I choose to do it.

True enough, I have not only overcome my water phobia and I could swim better that I could imagine. Now, I am always looking forward to swim every week whenever I have the time.

Although swimming is an exercise but its the learning process I have learnt to adapt. When we change our mindset and give ourselves time to learn and develop new skills. There's nothing that we cannot learn.

Ironically, one of my girlfriends is trying to overcome her water phobia too. I encouraged her just like what my friend has done the way it to me. I can tell that she's trying hard... and I encouraged her even more... I tell her don't give up. If I can do it, she can do it as well. Hopefully in no time, she will overcome her phobia just like what I did.

When we have fear and worrying in doing something we thought we are incapable of doing, we will rather not doing it. Hence, we are limiting our own capabilities. Sometimes we just need to have just a little bit of confidence and courage to do it and enlightens us to a new perspective... just like the statement above :)

No comments: