16 June, 2021

Day 228: Signup for IoPT Immersive Program

The Split Psyche after Trauma

I have been in the System of the Heart community for 3 years. This is the moment I feel that I want to understand the theory behind IoPT. I signed up for IoPT Immersive Program, it is a 2 year programme, 12 modules, which includes IoPT theory, faciliation work and healing processes.

What motivates me is if I can't love, trust, protect myself fully, what is the meaning of my life? I am ready and I want to find back myself at a deeper level.

What is IoPT (Identity-Oriented Psychotrauma Therapy)?
The Basics of IoPT (Identity-Oriented Psychotrauma Therapy)
Trauma is a situation in which we feel utterly helpless and overwhelmed and believe we may die. The fight or flight options of a high stress situation are no longer available, instead we freeze and fragment.

Identity-oriented Psychotrauma Therapy, using the Intention Method, facilitates "self encounters", in which we can safely, step by step, disentangle from trans-generational traumatisation.

As a part of us splits off, our Identity is altered. We are no longer fully healthy: we retain a healthy part, but a traumatised part comes into being, is rendered unconscious and a surviving part guards this split. The traumatised part remains at the age it was when the trauma happened. Our surviving self works to distract us from this loss. We are no longer fully present to ourselves or others and may primarily be occupied with surviving behaviours to avoid our unconscious trauma feelings (see opposite). Surviving emotions such as anger, extreme optimism and even depression can also serve to distract us from our real feelings.

Survival behaviours can range from the more socially acceptable distractions such as watching tv, sleeping, playing sport, working hard and shopping, to the potentially destructive tendencies such as OCD, self-harm, eating disorders and even suicide.

No comments: