20 June, 2021

Day 232: KDrama - Her Private Life

Her Private Life is a romantic comedy about an idol fangirl Sung Deok Mi (Park Min Young) who works as a curator at an art museum and tries to hide her fangirl side, but her secret becomes in jeopardy of being exposed after a new director Ryan Gold (Kim Jae Wook) arrives.

Deok Mi has been passionate about her idol for many years. As you watch the drama, Deok-Mi’s apartment is full of stuff that showcases how much she supports and loves her idol, Cha Si-An. Deok Mi created a fan community and updates the latest news and his schedules, follows him whenever possible, and supports him with all her heart.

Deok Mi and Seon Joo (best friend) are both in their 30s, but they are fangirls. Why not? There is nothing strange about it and I'm glad that the writer chose to show a different side of fangirling. I like the fact that this drama chose an older heroine to be the fan leader, which makes me feel that fangirling can be done in a rational way and can be completely normal thing here. I like Seon Joo and Deok Mi friendship was genuine and real. Seon Joo is my favourite character here and I loved their relationship with her husband. And their child was sooo cute!

Deok Mi and Ryan's relationship is so well done and explored through patience, kindness and nurture. Also, their chemistry is just perfect.

What I feel about Her Private Life the overall feeling is similar with What's wrong with Secretary Kim. I think it is partly because the female lead is the same, portray the confident, smart and thoughtful woman image. The drama itself is light hearted, warmth and sweet.

Rating: 8.5/10

Reflection
The main theme of a fangirl is something so close to many of our hearts. I remembered when I had a period of time chasing after Andy Lau. Thank goodness, that it was short lived. I felt it was waste of time, money and efforts and he doesn't even know who I am. Now I think back, I probably needed someone to emulate as a role model during that time. Although I don't idolise him anymore, he is one of the long lived artiste that I ever seen. Needless to say about his good looks, he is also hardworking, care for his fans, set a good example. There is always charismatic about some people, who shine in their own light.

I also like the fact that the setting is at a museum where some artist works are being promoted in this drama. They are pretty cool and nice. I always bothered for the fact that I can't draw well. When I saw Ryan is unable to paint due to his own psychological issues, I feel his pain. Thankfully, he managed to overcome his own pain.

I have a fair amount of pain where during my childhood, despite I put in my best effort, my art teacher gave me a F, my parents commented I drew very ugly. During my time at laselle in my 20s, my art teacher threw my artwork on the floor because she thought that it is not good enough.

Someone ever said,"If you want to overcome your challenge, the joy is on the other side." Therefore, I need to overcome my own psychological pain. Thank you for those harsh words, to make me a much better designer and I acknowledge myself that I am able to draw very well. I am working towards it. It is never too old to purse what I truly love and passionate about.

No comments: