14 December, 2020

Day 46: I figured it out {how to overcome my exam fear}

Yay! I got my results.
This post is not to show how good I am, but rather, my own experience in personal transformation.

I am really happy with the results that I got. I don't need to prove myself that I am good enough. I am enough. Of course, I feel good that my lecturers recognised my efforts and my understanding about the subject matter in UI UX.

Thank you Erik Chua, Allan Zhang and Teck Tiong for sharing their Design Thinking, UI and UX research knowledge and experiences with me. Answering my doubts and confusion. Not forgetting my classmate designer, Evelyn Lim, she was supportive and opened to my ideas and we had the shared goals and values.

When I was young, I studied for my parents, with a lot of anxiety, fear and stress.
I am older now, I studied for myself with joy, excitement and curiosity.

As an adult learner, I choose to decide what I want to learn. It was a very empowering experience for me. Learning is fun especially, when I am opening to new knowledge and experiences.

I wasn't a smart student during my secondary days. I took a long time to understand the subjects, especially Maths. It was a painful period. Fortunately, I didn't hate Maths but rather, I want to know what I didn't understand.

My secondary Math teacher, Mr Lee was very professional. I still remembered his face after so long! I am grateful for what he did. He gave a group of students, who were weak in Maths, tuition class after school weeks after weeks. Because of his patience and his clear explanation, I finally figure it out.

One thing I did differently was to change the way I study.

"If you are suffering at your current situation. Change the method to get different results."- Transforming Rachel

Now, I found my own ways of learning and absorbing information.
The results are just showing that I understand the subject matter and I studied well when I know where to score points. I am happy that I didn't give up myself. I am feeling grateful to my healthy self, getting more and more patient with myself.

Today affirmation: I study with ease and confidence.

Parents out there, who are stressed with anxiety and stress with your children results. Children don't study well, not because of laziness or stupid. They don't understand the subject matter, even though their teachers may have explained it many times. Not that they don't want to learn or trying to be funny, they just haven't figure it out yet. It could be also their emotional aspects. They don't find interest in learning. They are too fearful internally or stressed up by their internal or external environment. You need to dive deep what are their study challenges.

Many years back, Venerable You Deng told me that taking exams are just tests to help us understand the subject matter better. That shifted my thoughts as well on how I perceived exams entirely. When I scored well because I understood the subject matter. When I don't, I just need to put in more efforts to understand it better.

Although my exam results were not fantastic in the past, I got an F for my English Language. I love writing now because I saw meaning in translating my thoughts into words postively. The beautiful part in life is Transformational. If you were the same as yesterday, you are not growing or progressing forward.

I always have this chinese idiom at the back of my mind. "行行出狀元" In every trade, a master appears. It means that you can produce outstanding achievements in any task, provided you put it enough love and diligence.

Please give your children the space to learn and grow. They will make it in life no matter what.
#SelfImprovement #SelfMastery

No comments: