25 February, 2007

Follow the LAW?!?! Think Twice!

Had a CNY Lunch with my family today at the grassroots restaurant. The food is still as good as before. It's my sis's treat since she just got her bonuses. After the lunch, I suggested to go and watch "Follow the law" directed by jack neo. My dad don't really like jack neo movies, so end up only me and my sis went to watch.



It's a great and heartwarming movie, i would say. Very sarcastic, direct and not afraid to say some "sensitive" rules and "offensive" words about the government organisation. Actually I feel that it's doesn't only apply to government sector only... I think the problems applied to all big organisations.

Organisation is huge, many people are involved and hence more problems are created instead of reducing the number of problems. A typical good example happened in my company. One day my pc had some problems, I called the IT dept. Below was the conversation:

IT helpdesk: "How can i help you?"
Qiqi: "My pc is down, could you send someone to come down to check?"
IT helpdesk: "Please submit the "e-request" form and I will send someone down to check."
Qiqi: "But my pc is disconnected from the network, im unable to do that."
IT helpdesk: "I'm sorry you have no choice, you got to submit the form before we can do anything about it."

I started to get a bit pissed off.. My pc is down and they expect me to submit the eform... How "smart" they are. Anyway, i asked my colleague to help me.

I saw the "e-request" form, to my horror, the form is as good as askin you to fill up the "job application" form. i took 10 mins to fill up this form. This is not all. After i submitted the form, the form is routed to my superior for approval.

My superior is away on a business trip for 2 days and how can she approved this form? So i called the IT dept again. I told her my problem and guess what she said? "Sorry we have to get the approval form first before we can service your pc."

This time I was really, really mad. I told her in the firm voice.” If my boss is away for a month, does that mean that I don't need to do any work for a month?" I think that girl finally got the message. She quickly said,” Of course not, I will send a IT engineer to look into this problem."

Yes, certain things we can wait and delay but certain things we just have to use our own initiatives and try to do our best to help. I just feel that most big organisation people have no sense of urgency. Maybe they are so used to their "comfort" life in the organisation. Even a simple, little job, they can simply just wait or maybe it's just because i'm a small fry in the organisation? If I were the director of the organisation, do you think the IT people will treat me this way?

No comments: