25 March, 2012

Book Head Bands


Whenever I look at a hardcover book, I notice there is this colored strip band. I asked my designer friends and Shirley told me this is called Head and Tail band. Initally, these are called Head and Tail band but now some people just called it headbands. It is used for hardcover books. I went to read up on the information about head bands.

A functional and/or ornamental band at the head and tail of a book between the sections and the spine covering, which projects slightly beyond the head and tail. Originally, the headband consisted of a thong core, similar to the bands on which the book was sewn, around which the ends of the threads were twisted and then laced into the boards of the book. Today, however, the headband is much simpler and is usually made of colored silk sewn to the book or simply attached after the volume has been forwarded.

Although Head and Tail Bands (H/T bands) most often people refer the bands to be the ornamental decorative. An additional asthetics of a colored band. It is often checkered style cloth piece at the top and bottom of a book. In the modern days, some book makers have discarded the book band tradition.

However, I personally think the function of the bands had the great advantage of also banding the top and bottom of the sections together tightly. I will use this book head bands for my book as it can protect the book for a longer period of time.

No comments: