28 January, 2007

A meaningful morning

Went to Asian Women's Welfare Association (AWWA) yesterday morning. I saw this artistic frame at the entrance. It caught my eye. A man moving upwards and releasing a dove out of the window! That's freedom! So inspiring at the beginning of the beautiful morning... :)

The reason i was there because there was special occasion worth celebrating! TEACH ME Toastmasters Club had its FIRST chapter meeting. Our club is invited to be there to give support and guide them during their meeting.

The aim is to promote interaction and cooperation between People with Disabilities (PWDs) and the able-bodied. Upon completion, they are able to prepare them to be work ready for employment or business start-ups.

The first project is "Ice breaker". They were supposed to give a self-introduction, within a given time frame to make their first speech. During the meeting, everyone of them has high self-esteem. Despite of their incapability, most of them could speak confidently for at least 4 mins. A few of them have exceeded the given time. The best thing is, they say it without using any scripts.
I remembered when I make my first speech. I was shivering with my paper on my hand. Could even hear the moving sound of the paper. I couldn't talk as fluent as I wished to be. I was almost stammering throughout my speech.

These innocent people are just a group of contented people. Talking with them is so at ease. They are so real. No fake smiles, just true hearts facing right in front of you. I'm impressed by their courage, their motivation, their determination, their high inspiration, their desire to exceed in their limited capabilities. Yes, they have touched my heart.

I always had in mind that peoples with disabilities needs our help and we are always the ones who could help them. But now, they proved me wrong! They helped me even more! It was indeed a fruitful meeting :)

No comments: