25 May, 2021

Day 206: Brene Brown - The call to courage

Evelyn recommended me to watched this inspiring documentary from Netflix, The call to courage.

This is not my first time watching her sharing. She is humorous and inspiring speaker. I love her message.

Vulnerability might lead to failure or to a life full of joy and love. A vital message about being truly courageous.

She shared how she started as a TED talk speaker and some people just shamed on her.
When she was trying to hold herself back, she saw this quote,
"It is not the critic who counts;
not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles,
or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena,
whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly;
who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming;

but who does actually strive to do the deeds;
who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions;
who spends himself in a worthy cause;
who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement,
and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly,
so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Her 3 realisations
1) I am going live in the arena.
I am going to be brave in my life.
I am going to show up.
I am going to take chances.
This is the choice I make every day.

Today, I choose courage over comfort.
I can't make commitments for tomorrow
but today I am going to choose to be brave and I know what it means for me.

2) It is having the courage to show up.
Even when you can't control the outcome.
Vulnerability is not weakness.
It is an accurage way to measure courage.

3) You can't take criticism and feedback from people who are not being brave with their lives.
It will just crash you. We care what people think about us. The deal is that you have to be very specific about people whose opinions of you matter.
Good Feedback are people who love you, not despise your imperfection and vulnerability. But because of your imperfection and vulnerability. Their feedback matters.

What are the stories I tell myself?
We make up our own stories.
We are so afraid to be seen.
To love is to be vulnerable.

Love, Belonging, Joy
Ironically, we hurt people we love the most.

Sense of Belonging is not fit in.
True belonging is you belong to yourself first.
Speaking your truth, Telling your own story, Never betraying yourself for other people.
True belonging doesn't require you to change who you are. It requires you to be who you are and that is vulnerable.

Some people are scared to receive joy. They felt that once they receive joy, something bad may happen to them.

How to show up authentically?
Practise Gratitude.
To show up compassionately.
Instead of chasing extraordinary moments, look into simple ordinary moments.
Capture the moments in our mind, heart and emotions.
Choose joy and fun. Just do the joyful things. No ROI, payoff or upside.
Time spent without purpose.

Where comes to work, bring our whole heart and whole self to work.
Opportunities come when we are putting effort and take up chances.
For companies who do not want to take risks, No vulnerability, No Creativity, No Innovation.
Talk to people, instead of talk about people.
By having conversations, you get to listen, empathise, learn by asking questions, see the blindspots, moving forward.

I love the last story Brene has shared about her daughter has to go for her 100 yard swimming race.
She knew she is going to fail and yet Brene and her husband encourage her to go for it.
Brene can see how hard her daughter has struggled through out the race.
But when her daughter came out of the pool, she said,"I was brave and I won."
I teared. It was so moving and touching.

Winning is not about coming in first.
Winning is doing the real brave thing.
For me, winning is just to show up authentically in my life.

I must say Vulnerability is hard, sometimes scary to me and dangerous.
But it is not anymore once I cross the huddles.

As getting to the end of our lives and having to ask ourselves
What if I would have shown up?
What if I would have deliver what I truly want
To be seen, to be loved, to answer the call of courage because I am truly worth it.

No comments: