19 May, 2021

Day 200: IOPT Study Group - Career

Tonight was the bonus round of IOPT Study Group, relating the Career.
Here are the 8 possible Blindspots
1. Outlook
Certainty - Lack of Certainty is a blind spot. You don't trust your own views, you are unsure and unclear about your life. Have to convince yourself and people around you.

Optimisim - Pessimistic about current state eg. feeling future is bleak, thinking the worse of everything, affects your outlook in life.

If you have these blindspots, it will certainly impact your productivity.

2. Innovation
Persistance - How innovative you are requires persistency. Overcoming obstacles eg during covid, many businesses have to think of new ways to overcome the obstacles. If you are not persistent enough, you tend to give up halfway. You struggle to see through an idea. When you faced with an obstacle, you quit or find a new job. If you start a business, and it doesn't work out, you find a new business partner.

Tempo - When you faced an obstacle, tempo not fast enough to overcome an obstacle. You tend to procastinate, go into denial mode. Often wait until it is too late to do something about it. You sit on the problem, pretend it is not there. The best time is to find help when you have no problem. That is when you have enough energy and strength to look at it.

In business or in career, there are surely obstacles, if you procastinate and go into denial mode when you meet obstacles, it will surely affect productivity.

3. Motivation
Self Motivated - How much you enjoy challenges? Are you really self motivated? Are you able to move forward and get things done?

Stress - Some people are stressed on the inside and cool on the outside. If you are not relax, people can feel your stress. When you become stress to the point your body cannot support, you become burnout.

4. Decision
Problem Solving - You don't enjoy problem solving. Do you enjoy looking far ahead? If you are blindly optimistic, you don't really enjoy looking far ahead, you will tend to fire fight a lot. Unconsciously creating fire for yourself to fight. If you are in a leadership position, and you don't enjoy problem solving, it will create a lot of problem for the team.

Authoritative - You don't enjoy making decisions. You end up asking others to make decision and take the responsibility, and when things go wrong you blame your team. Unconsciously you are scared to make the wrong decision. If you are too authoriative, you tend to take too much responsibility, you tend to not include others in the decision-making process. Others will also feel that their views are not important as they don't feel included.
Discussion
1. In what ways are you similar to your parents?
I think probably my tempo is same as my dad has a slow tempo. Sometimes we take too long to react or response when we are unclear. When he is stressed, he goes into his denial mode, which sometimes I am similar to him. When he is stressed he will stress everyone in the family. That is when his Gan Jeongness kicks in.

2. Are you aware of your own blindspots and how does it affect you?
For me, I used to give up things halfway because I don't see hope at the end of the tunnel. As my tempo is slow, I end to wait until things become too late to do something about it.

Now I am able to see my blindspots better. I will plan early and I will followup closely, so that the projects meet its deadline. FGS Venerables have trained me to make decisions, I learned to make decisions for myself and people who are working with. I also understand teamwork that gives me the opportunties, to empower myself and others to be the best version of themselves using their own talents and skills.

3. Are you ready to make a change?
Yes, To learn about myself, continue to attend new study group dates.

No comments: