15 May, 2021

Day 196: KDrama - Legend of the Blue Sea

Legend of the Blue Sea is delightful to watch. It's a fun mix of romance, friendship comedy, action, fantasy and past lives that make the storyline unique. The story follows reincarnated star crossed lovers across to 2 timelines - with the Joseon timeline as a dramatic backdrop and the modern day story played out with more comedy and romance. This drama tells the love story of a con-artist and a mermaid who travels across the ocean to find him.

Great acting by all the main and supporting actors, though, and I do love the juxtaposition with the Joseon period to modern world. The cinematography during the old scenes were visually stunning and added an extra layer of interest. I really like the story. What attracts me is truly the blue sea. By looking at it in the most of episodes, makes me feel really relaxing. It could be better if episodes from 20 to 16 as some parts are quite draggy.

This drama was actually my first experience watching Lee Min Ho. I thought I finally got why he was such a "big deal" a few years back. While he impressed me fairly well in the first part, later his character becomes a bit flat. Jun Ji Hyun, though, has become one of the actresses that I enjoy very much. She has a great comedic sense and stands out from a lot of the Korean actresses I see. She did an excellent job in this show as well. Generally, the couple has romantic connection with each other.

I thought all the side characters were interesting and well-acted for their roles. Especially all the actors doing double duty as past and present characters. The music was pretty good, but nothing that was extraordinary. It's not something I would like or enjoy listening to them over and over again. I just found out that the writer of this drama was Park Ji Eun who happened to write "My Love From Another Star" too, that explains why it felt so similar feel to it.

Listen to Legend of the Blue Sea OST
https://www.kdramalove.com/LegendBlueSea.html

No comments: