20 April, 2007

Flash Animation

My company sent me flash animation course for two days. The course structure seems all right and best of all, it teaches actionscripts, which I had not much experience in it.

I was late for the course due to the traffic jam in the morning. The instructor is kinda friendly and quite helpful. He is quite organised in his teaching. Follow step-by-step but make it interesting in his way. The problem with me was I had too high expectations for this course. I had already known 90% of the topics that he taught. Even the actionscripts, it is too simple for me. My expectation was to learn those cool, difficult animations and advanced flash scripting.

I guessed I had attended the wrong course. Through this course, I realised that either I attend advanced actionscript flash course, which is a faster way of learning or self taught and improved through practising and trial and error.

There are two lecturers who had no flash background; therefore they are kinda slow in doing all the exercises. They asked strange questions like, why cant use excels to do and that. They forgot that they are attending Flash Animation course not Microsoft Excel course. The most irritating part was they moved in and out of the class causing a bit of disturbance...

One of the lecturers showed us a "great" website, I saw totally fainted... I looked at him with horrified look and saw the same look on his face too haha... the colors are yucky and too many inappropriate animations around the website. That instructor is kind enough not to hurt lecturer, replied that is not really a good website, there are much more better websites around.

Perhaps both of us are designers, we hit off quite well. During the breaks, he told me he was a fashion designer, however he likes designing and animation a lot, that's why he switched to a web designer but kinda tired with the hectic life. He switched to be a lecturer for 6 years. He might be going back to England after his contract has ended.

At the end of the course, he reminds me that fundamentals are still very important to be a professional flash animator. He shared with me two actionscript books that I could read up and he is willing to help if I faced any problems in scripting in future :) Perhaps I had gained another good mentor in the whole entire course haha...

No comments: