15 January, 2021

Day 78: Dump trolley at HDB

In the past 2014 and 2015, NTUC FairPrice lost about 1,000 trolleys annually across more than 90 stores that provide them. The supermarket chain said it spends about $150,000 annually on repairing, replacing and retrieving abandoned trolleys.

For the supermarkets, store personnel retrieve the trolleys from nearby housing estates, pavements and taxi stands from time to time. Customers are required to deposit a one-dollar coin into the metal trolley when they borrow one from Sheng Siong supermarket, but plastic ones do not require any deposit. Likewise, NTUC FairPrice supermarkets' trolleys require a deposit of either a one-dollar coin from the old coin series or a 50-cent coin from the new coin series. Their baskets can be borrowed without a deposit.

These few days, I saw dump trolley at level 1 near the lift. I decided to help this neighbour to return the trolley since it is near the NTUC. I received a 50-cent coin. I get rewarded. A kind deed goes a long way. Indirectly, this neighbour helps to contribute to my savings. Although it is not a lot but it is still money. Every coin or dollar counts.

In the beginning, I felt like I am doing wrong things, thinking that what if people judge me. Why this girl is pushing this trolley such an early morning haha :D It is just me over thinking, no one cares if I push the trolley. In fact, I am doing a good deed for NTUC, by just pushing back the expensive trolley back to their supermarket!

No comments: