19 March, 2007

Sweet Porridge

I had sweet porridge for breakfast. Every this time of the year, my mum will cook, sweet and salty Fuzhou porridge for us. I'm sure a lot of you do not know what is sweet porridge. Sweet porridge is my Fuzhou tradditional delicancy.

It could also name as a dessert and we are allowed to eat this once a year. Eating this Sweet Porridge will make you "heng heng", meaning that you will be lucky or good fortune for the whole year and if you are lucky enough, you can even win 4D or TOTO!!!

My mum is a cantonese and she loved to cook. She learnt sweet porridge from my grandma. This traddition is going to lose in our family. My aunties or uncle wives no longer cook this sweet porridge anymore. However, my mum practise it faithfully...

This sweet porridge is basically sweet. The porridge goes with red dates, longan and peanuts, brown sugar, boiled egg. But how can a porridge be sweet??? Last time the thought of it, puts me off totally. Strangely, my whole family loved it, esp my sister. She always eat few bowls of sweet porridge.

However, asking me to eat, is equivalently asking me to "die". My mum will still enforced that i must eat it, no matter how much i hate it. There was a time, my sister joked that im not part of the family because i hate to eat Fuzhou's sweet porridge. I almost believed her. Start to think, maybe i could be an abandon child.

Even though, I'm not that extreme now, i still dont like the taste of it. I will still eat, not to waste my mum's effort. She needs to wake up early in the morning, just to cook this porridge for the family.

When i eat one small bowl of sweet porridge this morning, alright lah, it is not as bad as i thought in the past afterall.

No comments: