31 March, 2007

"Vocation" Job

On Monday, my friend asked if anyone interested to help her to sell tickets on Muai Thai boxing competition on Saturday. Selling tickets sounds interesting to me cause so far I have never do such odd jobs before. So I asked for details. It's $40 for the job, it sounds alright for a 3 hours job and we get to watch the Thai boxing competition.

My friend told me she needs 2 people helping her. So I jio Tes to join me. I told her it's not a lot of money, just go there for "life experience". She sounds keen on the job too.

The competition is held at Jurong East Sports Council. Being a xiao sortong again, I do check the location, however I didn't check where is the exact location. I assume that the bus interchange will have the bus to reach there.

We are quite unlucky for that day. It is raining; the bus interchange and even the roadside bus stops do not have any bus to reach there. All cabs are full, thus we are late for the briefing. The organiser is unhappy with us because we are late.

Anyway, we quickly listen to the short briefing and start to sell the tickets. For the first hour, we are quite relax. Practically being paid to sit there and listening to the rhythm of the rain. And some people walked to us, just to ask where is the toilet. Oh yah, we have become the "receptionists".

As more and more people coming to purchase the last min tickets, we start to get busy. The tickets were in denominations of $15, $25, $40 and $50. We always run out of $5 for the change. we are lucky to have another two nice stall owners who are willing to change for us, therefore everything is still in control.

Until the last portion, it is the most challenging part. We need to tally with the sum of money we collected and the number of tickets sold. We kept calculating the sum, it just doesnt tally at all. We had no choice but to recount and recount all the leftover tickets. Strangely enough, at the end of the day, the money and the tickets finally tally.

We went in to take a look. Tes started taking photos. I don't really feel like taking out my camera because we are standing right behind. My friend walked towards us and say that we could go right in front of the ring to take. We get to watch the final match of the most critical part of the show. Indonesian boxer vs Singaporean boxer. The winner is from Singapore!

Guess what has happened to that $40? We spent it on our dinner and cab fare haha... :)

No comments: